Direct mail marketing is a traditional and long standing part of the marketing mix for many companies. One of the benefits of direct mailing is you can order lists of recipients that are within very specific demographics. Obtaining these lists adds additional charges to your project. This is still a great alternative for some business that have a specific product or service; however the USPS has a service that allows businesses to send a marketing piece to every door on a specified delivery route. This is a great alternative for local businesses such as churches, dry cleaners, banks, restaurants and coffee shops that want to reach their local area customers.
Does Direct Mail Really Work?
- Direct mail is the preferred channel for receiving marketing from local shops (51%) and banks (48%), while email is preferred for events and competitions (50% each). October 2013 *
- 54% of mailed postcards are read by recipients. November 2012 *
- Direct mail — yes junk mail via snail mail — still reigns supreme, offering response rates of 1.1 to 1.4% versus 0.03% for email, 0.04% for Internet display ads, and 0.22% for paid search. May 2013 *
Here’s How EDDM (Every Door Direct Mail) Works
- Create a powerful postcard marketing piece
Fireball Creative can help you design and print a creative and powerful mailer that captures your company’s branding, the essence of the product or service and includes a specific call to action. Since this is going to be part of your overall marketing mix, it is important that it fits the look and feel of all of your other marketing elements – such as your website, storefront, vehicles, business cards and brochures.
We will make sure that all of the printing specifications for the USPS are met.
- Visit the USPS EDDM site and select your route(s)
This is where you can go into the USPS system and actually see the routes you can choose from. The site also shows you the running total of the number of deliveries as well as the postage cost. This interface is nice because it will show you the exact houses that will receive your postcard. This program also allows you to target just PO Boxes, just residential or truly hit Every Door!
Note, the basic EDDM service will only allow you to send 5000 mailers per day.
- Receive and admire your beautifully printed postcards
Take a moment to look at your beautifully printed postcards. Get really excited about all of your new clients learning more about what you are up to and how you can help solve one of their pressing problems.
- Pay for postage
With EDDM, you can either pay for postage online or at the post office. The postage works out to around $0.183 per piece.
- Supply bundled mail to the local post office
You will need to supply your postcards bundled with a facing slip. So for an example, if a route has 322 houses, you would do 6 bundles of 50 cards + one bundle of 22 and the facing slip. This allows the carrier to easily add this to the route.
- Wait to for your customers to receive their postcard and come to do business with you!
As mentioned before, this solution isn’t for everyone, but it is a PERFECT solution for those businesses who are looking to target the local area within a certain mile radius of their location.
Need help in navigating the process? Designing or printing your postcards? Contact us! We are happy to assist you!